Tuesday, February 23, 2010
blog
It's been a long time since I last blogged. Around 4 months plus to be exact. The main reason for this absence is because of the (overwhelming) amount of time spent on Facebook and its highly-addictive status updates.
Come to think it, I have encountered numerous occasions on which what I wanted to put in the status update was too long. Granted, it is longer than the 140 characters that Twitter offers but so? That's scant comfort. It's just like we are forced to pick off the unnecessary parts and just distill into simple words so fit into that status update.
I must say that I discovered a latent love for writing. To be exact, the love for writing prose (certainly prose constitutes text of more than 140 characters). Other than being a rudimentary way of forcing myself to maintain a basic level of literary skills, I find the experience rather therapeutic. Writing long text allows me to express my feelings in a fuller context and in a way allows that pressure valve in me to release that much more pressure than a 140 character text would ever permit. There's no need to resort to summarising skills to prune and pare down the flowery language (a controller's bane but I shall go that at another time). Imagine reliving the agony of doing Summary during one's GP paper during A levels. That's why, personally, I always liked doing the AQ after Summary during GP because there's no arbitrary limit on the words that I can write. A liberation of sorts.
Nevertheless, in this world overloaded with information, our attention to each text has been divided into infinitesimally small periods and that calls for quick, concise chunks of text to bring your point(s) across. A necessity in today's reality but the loss of a fully-bloomed ecosystem of words to accompany the point is regrettable.
After all, the fats in meat are not necessary for our diet but they do taste good, don't they?
shermon blogged @ 10:38 pm
0 comments