Saturday, May 09, 2009
blog
Ok, many things transpired in the 4 weeks since the last post. The Aware saga, the swine flu, work, work and more work. On a side point, I met a service term course mate who got chopped from his pilot course. The good thing for him? His NSF liability after the chop was only a fortnight.
Still, nothing beats falling sick for the second time in 3 months.
Some might say, as an NSF, falling sick 2 times in a quarter is hardly anything to be proud of. Judging by the crowd every Monday and Friday at the Medical Centre, I can understand why. Yet, the very burden/duty that my rank dictates that I should try to be a super-human that avoids falling sick.
Wicked, ain't it? Am I really taking this 'duty' thingy too seriously? Actually, I just wish that I can slack too but setting an example has one practical use - it makes it easier to get those under you to do what you want them to do when you do it yourself, or in much simpler terms, walk the talk.
That's just the sidepoint and back to the main point I shall go. Falling sick during anytime is not good because you just feel weak and tired. Nevertheless, falling sick used to be good for me since I seem to grow taller and slim down whenever I have a major bout of fever.
Well, that was the past. With the swine flu now, you pretty much instill fear when you have fever/cough/sore throat/runny nose. So yeah, I had mild fever (read: 37.7 deg C) on Friday. Deciding to skip the crowd at the polyclinic on a Friday morning, I procrastinated till noon time after I had a more-sumptous-than-usual lunch to last through the 2 hours an average polyclinic visit requires.
Yet, when the nurse at the entrance knew that I was here for fever, she shunted me to this side specially reserved for fever/cough/runny nose/sore throat patients. That means wearing surgical masks and taking my temperature. It was a hassle which I dreaded but it reaped dividends later. I was basically taken to this segregated section of the polyclinic and told to do my consultation and collection of medicine there. The total time taken: 30 mins compared to the usual 2 hours. So I was back at home resting in a jiffy.
I thought that was the end of most of the troubles.
Little did I know that me being absent from work can wreck some havoc especially when it's a Friday and weekends usually bring about loads of coordination for me to follow up. Sure, in the evening, my handphone started to be very very active with calls from my workplace. A twisted case of work-from-home I guess?
In any case, the fever came and gone with the help of Paracetamol (Panadol). Work begins on Tuesday. Again.
shermon blogged @ 6:53 pm
0 comments