Thursday, January 01, 2009
blog
Dec 15 2008, 2217I have always attempted to reconcile my choice of study and my choice of job. They are just fundamentally different. It took quite a while for me to really come to a decision and just last week, I decided to call it quits after the previous Saturday.
The surprise is that I wasn't the one who initiated it. They struck first. Swift and decisive indeed. I have already gotten wind of such a possible action long before today. Yet, when it came, I was still unprepared. It doesn't matter when my CO called me yesterday (a Sunday) and my OC called me this morning 3 times to meet him at their office. When I walked into the room with OC, CI and the CO, I knew something wasn't right.
Do I have any hard feelings? No.
Why should I? The 6 months spent training at AFS ranks up there among my happiest times along with BMT. I've met very nice people in C3 wing. Their mentality is great and I really appreciate the different point of views they offer. The diverse backgrounds didn't bother me. Instead, this diversity was the textbook which I drew many lessons from.
How do I feel about this whole thing? Mixed feelings. On one hand, it finally settled something that long troubled me. On the other hand, I completely had no say in this matter, which kinda irks me. After all, I prefer to have the initiative in such things.
Perhaps, the greatest comfort I can draw is when Staff Loo told me that he felt kind of down after hearing this case. To him, I "would have made a good officer". To me, the fact that he said those gave me the comfort knowing that I had left a good impression on him.
I do not view it as a loss for the organisation. Maybe, it's just because I wasn't suited to the organisation and vice-versa. A divergence of interest. Dissolution is inevitable. After all, a compelled mismatch is inferior to the lack of one.
Nevertheless, in the remaining time, I will have to fulfill, to the best of my abilities, my duty as an officer. The core values and the creed will be my compasses but the people and experiences I met in BMT and C3 wing will always be my springboard and motivation.
It was a good ride. I appreciated it. Thanks people of C3 wing.
The reason why this only came up now is because my new status starts with effect from 1 Jan 2009. No reason to start divulging early.
shermon blogged @ 12:00 am
0 comments