Monday, December 29, 2008
blog
Recently, as I looked through my blog, I discovered that I am starting to have more pictures than words. Additionally, of those with words, most of the recent ones are jokes copied and pasted from elsewhere instead of the self-reflective posts which I used to post with a decent frequency.
What does this mean? Is it an indication that I am doing lesser self-reflection and concentrating on superficial and meaningless stuffs now?
I am tempted to say yes. After all, a weblog, in my opinion, is an online diary (albeit a very public one) which documents the different states of mind at different points in time. Changing this blog into a photoblog is not a direction I want to head in.
However, on the other hand, I must acknowledge that this dearth of self-reflective post is, in a big way, caused by lesser time devoted to self-reflection during my daily life. Maybe the daily grind is just so monotonous that nothing can trigger the floodgates for self-reflection.
Why self-reflection? I have always found them useful for my future self to look back in time and start analysing my past selves. After all, our pasts are rich sources of teaching materials for our future selves to learn from. We can't improve ourselves if we do not even know what to improve and how to improve. Self-reflection provides insight as to which areas are the ones which need help.
Lastly, self-reflection may be a good way to destress. I am not so sure about others but I sure find writing thoughts and musings to be a good way to destress since I sort of liberate them from my mind in a warped sense. It is all part and parcel of destressing myself. A rubber band can only withstand so much stretching before it ventures past the snapping point. Self-reflective writings are the tools that bring me back from the snapping point and restore my elasticity to deal with future problems.
It is advantageous for me to continue this habit of writing to destress. On one hand, it helps me to maintain coherent thoughts and find my own feet in this chaotic reality and on the other hand, it helps to ensure that my linguistic ability does not fall below a minimum acceptable threshold.
What are the possible drawbacks? The only one I can think of is the larger amount of time needed to be used for writing such pieces. After all, copying and pasting other stuffs from elsewhere needs only that 30 seconds to post? Yet, the lack of time is hardly a good excuse. Time management is of the essence and with proper application, the few minutes needed to write can always be found.
No more excuses now. It's high time to continue good habits and start phasing out bad ones.
shermon blogged @ 11:22 am
0 comments