Saturday, November 08, 2008
blog
Significant or symbolism of something or some event may be indicative of some underlying trends.
Or it can really just be nothing more than a coincidence in which our complex brain, in desperate need to affix logic to everything in this world, is determined to frame it in a logical manner despite going horribly off-tangent from the truth.
Okay, enough pseudo-philosophical blabber for now.
Back to what I intended to blog in the first place.
I have always been rather fascinated by the concept of the light at the end of the dark tunnel. I mean, what's so great about the light? What if it is not the end of the tunnel but an oncoming train?
Until I was placed in the exact situation myself.
I never knew real darkness until I experienced it myself.
In that situation, the only feelings that I had were helplessness and fear. To someone in the dark, a light shines as brightly as anything will ever be, even though the light may be a really weak one when compared to other sources of light.
We fear what we do not know. The presence of light seems to offer us a way out of the helplessness in the dark and reduce our fear. We subconsciously want to use the light to illuminate our surroundings and let ourselves know what is going on around us, thus reducing our fear and sense of helplessness.
We will always be attracted to that light even if it's from the gunfire of a bullet heading towards us or it's a trap to our instant deaths.
Why the sudden discussion?
It's because so many things have been happening around me that I can't help but feel helpless and fearful.
Helpless because I am powerless to stop these things from happening. Fearful because I do not know what is going to transpire next or how it is going to affect me.
It's just like being in a dark where I can't even see my fingers.
Thus, any hint of something remotely symbolic or significant is likely to trigger wild thoughts, just like being attracted to any source of light. I have begun to start second guessing why certain things happen and what omen they bring along. It starts to get ridiculous to the point where when I heard 简单爱 on 933 twice in 13 hours, something very uncommon, I start guessing why it happened so and blah blah and so on and so forth.
Even though, in reality, it's nothing more than a mere coincidence or due to some playlist arrangement with a mathematical basis.
But I guess, this is something inevitable. It's hard to beat one million years of evolution that taught me instinctively to gravitate towards light in the dark or grab onto something whenever I am falling.
Even if it means certain death from doing so.
shermon blogged @ 3:29 pm
0 comments