Monday, July 09, 2007
blog
My stomach was not in a particularly good state today while taking the bus home. To prevent any unfortunate incidents of me having an acute stomachache while the bus is on the expressway, I decided to alight and hail a cab home.
The ride was worth the fare of around $7. First I got home before the next onset of stomachache. Then, the taxi driver I met was kind and chatty and thus I had a good conversation with him. It is said that chatting with taxi drivers are often insightful and this ride did not prove otherwise. The kind uncle offered some medicated oil which I politely rejected. Then we just talked on a range of topics.
First he talked about having driving licenses of all classes since 1972 when such licenses were easy to obtain without the need to sit through pesky and difficult theory tests. He then talked about how he was denied the chance to get a taxi license since he had his own business last time. We then talked about how the theory tests were bad for chinese-educated folks like him since the tests are all in English.
The next topics was invariably the favourite topic for all cabby-talk: politics. He said about how contesting Ang Mo Kio GRC against Lee Hsien Loong was a foregone conclusion and about how people still respected Lee Kuan Yew. Then he also mentioned that Singapore is very well-maintained, partly due to its small size. It also turned out that he has 2 grown-up children who are currently residing in Canada and about how our country is too small. He also made a passing mention of certain passengers who just complain when stuck in a minor traffic jam.
The ending fare was $7.00 but the conversation was enjoyable and rather insightful in some aspects. If nothing had gone right today, this would probably be the only exception.
shermon blogged @ 6:28 pm
0 comments