Wednesday, January 10, 2007
blog
The title speaks it all. This post is about Chemistry.
Hold on a minute, am I outta my mind to start talking about Chemistry in a blog? Nah. Blogs and chemistry do not accomodate each other. Instead, I will talk about certain things having connection with Chemistry.
1) New chemistry teacher.
Yes, my new chemistry teacher is paul cheong. Yes I think he is a good replacement for darren lai (They are good in different ways). Yes I think he is knowledgeable. Yes, I was the first name he knew in the class (2nd being han cos he broke a thermometer in the first pract lesson, but there's another matter altogether). Yes, I got smashed by him while attempting to smoke something cheem. Yes, I do have respect for him.
And no, I will not trade him for another tutor from the JC2 Chem dept.
2) NUS H3 Chem.
I spent 1 hr travelling there, 1 hr in the lecture hall, 1 hr travelling home. What I learnt? Nothing.
First, the lecturer mumbles into his mic while the lecture is not exactly full of attentive, quiet undergrads. To make matters worse, he started by going through the different definitions of chemistry found in various textbooks. Next, he showed this evaluation by an 'anonymous student' that mentioned something along the lines of having no interest in phy chem at first, but after attending his lectures and tutorials, he suddenly developed a great interest in phy chem and is now 'passionate in phy chem'. As Kin Wai said, he prolly recycled this excerpt year after year except changing the date (it was 'the class of 2005/06' yesterday). The last and the best was a song by him titled 'You Will Never Fear CM 1131'. (CM 1131 is the module code). It was modified from 'You Will Never Walk Alone'. Worse still, he (attempted to) sing his 'song' as well as the original. I was surprised that the laughter was not obvious. He ended after 1 hr (supposed to be 2) and there were audible sounds of 'WTF' around the LT when it ended.
And today, when the module CM 1131 was mentioned in front of NUS undergrads, there was spontaneous laughter from them. Guess they knew what is going on.
3) Chem Olympiad Training.
I guess I can start counting my lucky stars today. First, I realised it is good to go to such trainings together as a big group instead of an individual, like this girl from jjc. I can understand how she feels. Must have been really bad because we, the rj contingent, were having much fun and laughter (no less from jokes of CM 1131).
Second, there's no further chem o training in nus until 7 feb, 4 weeks later. That means rest on wednesdays. The drawback is 3 full day of training at NIE (all the way at Boon Lay) during march holidays, which is the period to study (not mug) for common tests 1.
Third, it was organic chem today and daniao was visibly disturbed and bored cos he does not like organic chem and it borders on distaste. It must have been bad sitting through 2.5 hrs of something you do not like. It's probably as bad as my first point.
And guess what? There is gonna be so much chemistry on valentine's day. There's chem o training on that day -_-'
As a last note, it is nice to see people like pangwei and zhenghao back in rj before enlisting. They were perhaps back to see how their beloved CSC is doing at CCA Feste. All I can say, it was the best that we could do given the lack of resources due to unforeseen circumstances such as forgetfulness.
That's all for now, I guess.
Got to go sleep. Sleep is good.
shermon blogged @ 11:57 pm
0 comments