Monday, October 16, 2006
blog
Ok, today I decided to conduct a little experiment to test out the behaviour of people.
Today, sarge gave me a cup of ice lemon tea, claiming that it was an unclaimed cup from his generous treat to his class after he got a D for maths. Not feeling like drinking ice lemon tea, I decided to walk over to this group of girls comprising of michelle, huilin, vanessa, claire, peijie.
I put the cup exactly equi-distance from each of them (maybe not exactly, but I have faith in my estimations). Then I said, "Ok this extra cup of ice lemon tea is from someone who passed maths and it was his treat. Here'a cup for 5 of you."
3 minutes later, the cup of ice lemon tea was still untouched. Shows 2 things:
1) They do not exhibit rational self-interest, or at least they are not showing it out. Rational selfish individuals would want that cup of ice lemon tea. I was expecting a dispute/ fight/ struggle/ debate over who should get that cup of ice lemon tea, but nothing of that sort happened. Fake or just pure manners? But since when was manners un-fake then? Was it out of moral obligations or just social pressure? Most likely only they have the answers.
2) They claimed they dare not touch it because they say that it is unlikely I will be so good to give them a cup unless the drink has been tampered with. To make things worse, iw went up to take a sip and pretended to show the effects of drinking a spiked drink. Is this a sign of implicit mistrust? Indeed, it is rather difficult to understand why a person would suddenly give you benefits without expecting anything in return. Is there really no place for sincerity or the act of sharing now? Distrust has become too high a wall that such values can scale.
Anyway, got back phy, maths and gp today. Can't complain about them, but not too happy about them either, especially maths. I hate to think what gar goei will say about my maths mark compared to his.
Played badminton ytd with sarge, cq, ee sin, gar goei and kinwai. Sarge the bully was making me run around the whole court with his imba dropshots. Ok, maybe one day I will find a way to counter him.
I hope that day comes, before my limbs get worn out from playing (too much) badminton.
shermon blogged @ 3:49 pm
0 comments