Sunday, February 12, 2006
blog
It is painful to know that you were just that close to qualifying for something that people viewed as something you can automatically qualify for. It hurts doubly when you know that you could not qualify simply because you screwed up the easiest section which should have been a breeze.
Last Wednesday, I was staying back in sch up to like around 11.30pm for NOI selection test. Must say that I am extremely disappointed with myself with the results. Did not make it into the sch team simply because I screwed up the question considered to be the easiest by everyone. It was due to a combination of lack of practise and sheer laziness. Because I underestimated the running time, I simply wrote a brute force code and submitted it. In the end, the code got owned by the long running time.
I do not know whether to cry or to laugh at myself for having stumbled at such a simple thing. I must say that this is quite a wake-up call for myself in terms of programming. Sometimes, I simply wondered if I am not cut out for programming. In fact, I found myself joining Comp Sci club solely because of programming. Have I gone off focus simply because my priorities have changed since Sec 1.
The wind on that night never felt so cold before. I tried to tell myself to run away from the setback by not touching programming again, but I failed. The rational part of me reminded that running away is not the solution. Running away will not solve the problem. Running away reeks of cowardice. I should not be running away.
So, the rational part of me told myself:
Practise more, I shall.
Have the will, I shall.
Run away not, I must.
shermon blogged @ 6:44 pm
0 comments